Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Classes

So, we've taken several classes lately that are informative, graphic, and scary as hell. They teach us all about feeding, latching, crying, bleeding, things to detect, how not to neglect, what to expect, cutting cords, cutting foreskin, episiotomies, vacuum extraction, forceps, and I've heard more about breasts and vaginas in the last six weeks than I did for two years in my fraternity house!
Most of the educational videos we've watched were apparently shot in the 70's. They feature regular folks going through some extraordinary events. The cameras follow these people through hours of painful labor, crying, screaming, freaked out dads, and you watch every moment of these babies coming out from every angle. Now, I'm no prude, but I don't know what they told (or paid) these people to have them agree to cameras in their faces watching every moment of this. There's something to be said for privacy; this is an intensely intimate experience. The whole thing is crazy.
A thought occured to me that the babies born to the various couples we've seen in these videos are now mostly in their 30's. I started laughing out loud in class when I imagined one of these kids, hand-in-hand with his pregnant wife, sitting down in their birthing class to watch an educational video about how babies are born, when all of a sudden..."Uh, mom?" "That's my MOM!!!" "Shut it off! Shut it off! Shut it off!"

No comments: